Five Places in Macedonia a Cuban American Likes to Visit

Salas has been living in Macedonia for two years

The fact that Macedonia can be an exotic destination for some "eccentric" foreigners is proven by the presence of Oscar Salas, a Cuban-American musician with a life-long career. 

Salas has been living in Macedonia for two years. He has extensive collaboration with the Macedonian jazz guitarist Toni Kitanovski, with whom he has recorded two albums ("Shukar", with the Cherkezi Brass Band and "Toni Kitanovski, Greg Hopkins and Friends"). Last year, he released his own musical project under the Skopje Jazz Festival label, titled "Unfinished Business". Currently, he is preparing his second endeavor – "My Cuban Heart" together with local and Cuban musicians. 

"I have found a certain inner peace and, in many ways. Being in Macedonia has taken me back to my childhood in Havana, for many reasons. I find similarities between Macedonians and Cubans in many aspects. I'm pleased with the certain simplicity I find here, having grown up and lived most of my life in the complex US society," said Salas.

Five Places that Make the "Macedonian Life" of This Interesting Musician

Ohrid – I like this town because the lake gives me the feeling of being by the ocean, because it's vast and deep. It gives me a feeling of comfort, although I don't go in because its waters are too cold for me. I also like the old part of the town, with its little winding streets and beautiful houses. I feel like I am somewhere in the Mediterranean and it is a place that I always like visiting."

Bitola – I have heard about Bitola even when I was in school, from the history books. Even a friend of mine, who saw my posted pictures of Bitola on the internet, reminded me of what we studied in school about the Battle of Monastir in 1912, before WWI. I like Bitola because I have many friends there and it's always fun to go play. I like the looks of Bitola too, since you can see the layers of history everywhere. I enjoy taking walks around the old buildings, former consulates and foreign representatives. It's like a step back in time.

The Village of Vevcani – I really enjoyed the nature there and the walk through the park where the water springs are. The streams, the little waterfalls and the trees make that place magical. An Austrian friend said that it was even greener than the Alps! You really feel close to nature there. The lunch in the local "kafana" was marvelous.

The Turkish Bazaar in Skopje – I like the cobble stone streets which remind me of my childhood in old Havana. I enjoy window-shopping at all the little stores and especially the little antique stores. Luckily, I have had an excellent guide in Skopje so I am already familiar with most of the important sites. I go there for exhibitions and for coffee on Saturday afternoons. I love the atmosphere there and it's one of my favorite places in Skopje.

The Canyon of Matka – Once again, I enjoy Matka because of the water and the scenery. It's nice to seat in one of the small restaurants by the dam and enjoy nature. It's close to Skopje and it's an excellent place to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city. I take every opportunity to go there whenever I can.